
I remember my mom laughing so hard she literally cried watching movies in the living room with my dad (and he said she still does). She would have a tissue and would apologize for her laughter & tears, and I loved how she could get so involved in a movie that she would have such a strong reaction to the humor. And at the same time, I remember my mom crying while watching movies. I never understood how she could feel so much sadness from watching a movie. I actually would feel sorry for her a little bit. And I never could help but to keep peeking at her and her tears while she tried to sniffle them away.
I cried the other day. I sat on the couch next to Keane, hoping he would not see my tears, as I watched the season finale of Sons of Anarchy. "Are you crying?" he asked. I felt a little like my momma right then, crying at a TV show, and after I knew that Keane knew I was crying, I felt better letting the tears roll down my cheek. And I cried laughing the first time I watched Bridesmaids, so much so that I think I embarrassed Keane in the movie theater. I am my mom.
My mom is the Suzy homemaker in our family. Just the other morning, my sister was telling me the strap to a stocking cap I had bought McCoy for his birthday had broken off and she said, "...so I'm going to bring it home to have Mom fix it." She sewed up the edges to a new blanket for McCoy in a quick twenty minutes. Keane wanted me to patch up some overalls for him on the sewing machine he bought me, but I don't know how and I need to ask my Mom what the best way to do it is.
I had a rash on my face -- "Mom, what do you think it could be?" "Well, you were in the woods yesterday; it's probably poison ivy." POISON IVY -- of course!! My mom just always knows best. She knows what medicine to take, how to treat each and every disease, condition, and sickness. She knows how to mend any item of clothing, or rid of any type of stain or snag. She even always thinks to put Kollin's name inside his coats.
I just hope that I will be half the mom that she is to me and my brother and sister. She is beautiful to me. The picture above is her senior picture, and it is truly my favorite picture ever. I thank God for blessing me with a mother who loves me the way she does.
Even though she used to buy me clothes from garage sales that I thought looked like boy clothes because the jeans were too dark or the shoes were blue, even though she would get onto us for running at exhilarating speeds back and forth across the living room from the couch to the loveseat, even though she wouldn't let us run and flip over the coach doing gymnastic-style leaps in the back room, and even though there were many times I thought that I knew best -- she has always been my hero, and she has always been there for me.
Lenox came into the kitchen last night where Kylie and I were working on supper. I turned to point my finger at Lenox's nose (without much thought), and saw that Kylie was already doing that! I loved seeing it. I do it because my mom always did that to our cat, Mittens. Sometimes it's the little things that you realize are the really big things, and the things that matter the most.
I love you, Momma!
No comments:
Post a Comment